Monday, April 28, 2008

Don't take this personally, but...

Ok, is it just me or does anything that starts off with some various of "Don't take this so personally (or the catchy alternative, "Why are you taking this so personally") is generally going to be both A) incredibly insulting and B) something I am going to take personally?

Yes I know there is a time and a place for emotionless debate, even over topics of a personal or sensitive nature, but when someone says/writes/implies something negative about me and the way I happen to life, can someoen eplain to me why I should not take it personally? Because it was directed at an entire group and not me personally? BUT I AM PART OF THAT GROUP!!!

Would it ever be okay to say "I have no idea what Canadians have that they think they should be proud of" to a Canadian and not expect them to take it personally? Hell no! So why is it okay to say it about fat people?

Not only that, but to then continue "I can say whatever I want and if it insulted you then you are just being a big fat (no joke intended) baby who takes everything way too personally."

I love when it is followed by "but some of my best friends/family/pets are... _____". So how exactly is that supposed to make it better? Because you are also insulting someone you know and like I should not be upset at being insulted? How does that work exactly?

Ok, sorry for the vent. This situation has just pissed me off more than it should. I am not a lover of internet drama so I have chosen to just let this die, but I am just still trying to figure out how not to take "The world would be a much better place without fat people" personally.

No comments: