Sunday, April 12, 2009

Moo.

So today I was wondering around the Zoo with my husband and my daughter. Minding my own business and trying not to get killed by the mass amounts of people who had the same idea that we did for a day out and about, and I got moo'd at.

Not even a subtle "I was not really sure what I just heard" sort of noise, a major, loud, I stared right at the shmuck and he just gave me a nasty smile sort of noise.

Oh in hindsite I came up with a million comebacks that I could have said. I could have made reference to any other animals around us, started pointing and commenting loudly about the animal who was out of his cage, or even just kicked him hard and said something like, "I'm so sorry, is that not what you were asking for? I am afraid my bovine is a little weak".

But I didn't. I just let him get to me.

Yeah, I know. Who is the real shmuck. Him who clearly only has half a brain or me who thought she had a full one but let him get to me anyway. I guess I am just out of practice as I do not normally get such comments. There is no question that I am fat, but I do think I look fairly decent most of the time.

Fairly at least.

But even if I don't (and I still think that, at least today, I did) what gives someone else the right to dehumanize me like that? An old Jewish guy no less who you think would know the ends that dehumanizing can lead to! My Jewish education taught me that it is the first step on a slippery slope to things that go well beyond silly noises.

I spent the rest of the day miserable (and believe me there were enough things to push me well over the edge without having dealt with this early in the day.

2 comments:

A. said...

I'm sorry, but that is absolutely despicable!! I don't know what I would have done..stayed calm like you (for the first few seconds afterward) or gone and ripped his head off.

Anonymous said...

What a disgusting thing to do. Good for you for not answering; that takes a lot of control and restraint.